Born in Bristol England in 1824, Captain James Cass crossed the Atlantic 31 times before the age of 19, but would ultimately call California his home.
While hauling lumber from San Francisco to San Simeon, Cass discovered the small coastal town of “Old Creek, California”. Upon moving his family here, he chose to rename the town “Cayucos” after the Native American word for canoe. Captain Cass was a major contributor to the growing community of Cayucos, not only serving as its banker, but also building both the town’s church and its bustling wharf.
James Cass built his house in stages between 1867 and 1875, at the time it served as the hub of all cultural and social life in Cayucos. In 1993, after a 12 year period of abandonment, Gary & Nancy Bagnall bought the property and spent 14 years meticulously restoring the house to it’s original splendor, with the intention of turning it into a boutique hotel and restaurant. With the same passion that James Cass invested in building the house, the Bagnalls made sure no detail was overlooked before opening its doors to the public in the summer of 2007.